Rainy Day Blueberry Pancakes

August is supposed to be the hottest part of summer here, but I think the weather is trying to remind me of back home in Oz, because it’s been cold and rainy and really Melbourne-ish weather here for the last week or so. Bad weather makes me hungry, so on Sunday morning I decided that gorging on pancakes was the way to go.

on a plate with condiments behind

grey sky

Summer?

We’d been to a little farmer roadside fruit and veg stand the day before, hoping to find fresh strawberries, but they were out. And we got caught in a sudden freezing downpour. But on the upside, we got half a kilo of fresh delicious blueberries. And so of course they had to be incorporated into breakfast on Sunday!

all fruity

Basic pancake mix is: 

1 egg

1 cup self-raising flour

1 cup milk

pinch salt

That’s it! But I embellished on this mix and added:

about half a cup of blueberries

1 tablespoon icing sugar (or castor sugar, I just used what  had)

1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Mix ingredients (minus berries) thoroughly, adding milk if it’s too thick and making sure to get out any big lumps. Once mixed, add the blueberries and stir through.

Add a little butter to a medium-hot pan. Ladle some batter mix onto the pan and tilt the pan back and forth a little, until you get a fairly even spread of mix. Cook for a couple of minutes, then flip. I keep my pancakes on a plate in a 50 degree oven until all are done, so they stay warm.

To serve, my absolute favourite topping is maple syrup with whipped cream, and adding any leftover blueberries (or any fruit, we had some raspberries in the fridge so they go in on the pancake love too). A squeeze of lemon juice and a little sugar sprinkled over is pretty yum-o as well. Here’s a gratuitous condiment shot:

kinda arty

So enjoy, I know I did!

Sorry for not posting last week by the way. Never fear, I’m not going anywhere. Scheduling is back to normal 🙂

Cheers,

Luci

Advertisements

It’s a Lamp!

(imagine the title being read in the same way Admiral Ackbar says “it’s a trap!” in Return of the Jedi. Yep I’m feeling nerdy!)

So I managed to break my bedside lamp a while ago (ok, several months ago…) in the most lame of ways – I dropped a tube of lip gloss onto the glass lampshade and it made a perfect little hole in the side and a shower of glass splinters. I wish I’d taken a photo as it was quite cute but yeah broken glass doesn’t work as a bedroom feature. Not in my house at least, some people might be into it though, who knows?

Anyway, I’ve been living without a bedside lamp ever since, using the torch app on my phone when I want to read in bed. This isn’t ideal so I’ve been on the lookout for a replacement, with the thought that I might try to DIY something (maybe even make a replacement lampshade as the rest of it is still totally fine). I had spontaneously bought a string of cheap white LED lights a while back with the thought that maybe I’d use them on our balcony but hadn’t got round to stringing them up. Then I was at a second hand market a little while ago and saw a big ol’ glass bottle that gave me an idea, so i forked out the 5 euros and brought it home. 

OK

 

I don’t know if this even counts as a DIY but I’m really happy with how it turned out. I just fed the string of lights in and let them pool in the bottom of the bottle, with just a few leading up to the neck as the light-less section of cord was relatively short, but the little light poking out at the top makes it seem vaguely lantern-like to me. The light it throws is soft and lovely thanks to the kinda smoky-gold colour of the glass, but still bright enough to read by. Very important for me 🙂

What do you think? It’s something different and a little decorative, which is a big step for me as I usually go for strictly practical household items but I’m trying to branch out a little!

good needs cropping

Cheers,

Luci

Refashioned for summer

Ever since I started sewing, I’ve been asking my everyone I know to pass on any clothes they might having lying around in their wardrobes that they don’t want, so I’ve got fabric to practice on without having having to pay for it. Sometimes, though, I try transforming things into something new. Sometimes, it even works!

This is what caught my eye recently:

before good

I love the colours and it’s a soft cotton blend which would make a great summer dress, but it had long baggy sleeves and weird rouching (or whatever it’s called) on the front. So, first to get rid of that weird front detail-y stuff.

removing weird stitches

After getting rid of that and giving it a good iron, I was left with this to work with:

big n shapeless

Hrm. Well, next to get it to fit a bit better. I put it on inside out and used safety pins to get it just right:

Inside out pinned

Looking a bit better, but a bit like i have sails! So off to the trusty sewing machine to sew up those sides, then trim off the excess (this is a non-fraying fabric, woo hoo!).

sewing

All that was left is the arms. First I chopped them off just above the elbow:

sleeves off good view

 

Then after a bit of trial and error adjusting the sleeve length, I got it looking pretty good. So sew and chop off the excess, and time for the try-on of truth:

finished good

 

That’ll do! I’m very happy with my new summer dress, and now that the rain has gone away I may get to take it for a test run. Morla isn’t so sure…

Morla under umbrella

 

Cheers, 

Luci